Location of Idaho historical marker:  U.S. 12 – Milepost 28.3

 

In 1898, After rail service from Lewiston reached Lenore, a tramway was begun to ship grain from Camas Prairie (1,600 feet above) to a new freight stop directly across the river.

Lenore Tram

Previously, grain wagons descended a long steep hill from the prairie.  Gravity moved full tram buckets down, sending empty back up the cable loop.  By 1903, the completed system carried up to 100,000 bushels of grain each year.  In 1937 a fire destroyed the entire system.