Location of Idaho historical marker:  U.S. 12 – Milepost 27.8 At Lenore Rest Area

 

Slaterville served as the steamboat port for the Clearwater gold rush, which followed mineral discoveries at Pierce in 1860.

 Slaterville

Founded by Seth A. Slater, May 6, 1861, Slaterville (permanent population 50) had five edifices built mainly of colored blankets, two stores, two houses, and a saloon.  When the Colonel Wright "snapped her towline on the Grand Rapids and went whirling through the Big Eddy" just below here, May 13, Lewiston was founed to replace the new port.  One more steamer reached here June 1, but Slaterville was doomed.